I took a sales call yesterday and, I have to admit, I was really, really impressed with the salesperson on the other end of the line. He was educational, but mostly was effective because he challenged me.
The funny thing is, I don’t think this person knew how good he was, so I told him! He appreciated my feedback.
Things he did well:
- He pushed back when I minimized his offering
- He pulled back when he didn’t think I was qualified…and that got my attention, because I could tell he was well trained.
- He also had some “feel” to the process as opposed to a robo approach
So, I asked
- Are you using a script?
- Have you received sales training?
- How long have you been selling?
He told me he had Sandler training, but really subscribed to the Challenger methodology, interesting.
Long story short,
- He changed my thinking and mind set I had at the outset of the call.
- I was prepared to take the call and politely decline
- But, I ended up being educated and having a genuine interest in using the service, all because of the sales approach.
Challenge your buyers! You and your prospects will be better for it if you do.